Medicare and most private insurances require a practitioner-signed face to face evaluation completed within 6 months prior to or on the date of the detailed written order for a hospital bed. The following questions/details must be addressed in the patient face to face visit notes:
DOES THE BENEFICIARY:
- Have a medical condition that requires positioning of the body in ways not feasible with an ordinary bed? If yes, please explain.
- Require a hospital bed to alleviate pain? If so, how/why?
- Require the head of the bed to be elevated more than 30 degrees most of the time due to CHF, COPD, or problems with aspiration?
- Require a variable bed height to permit transfers to a chair, wheelchair or standing position?
- Require frequent changes in body position or an immediate need for a change in body position? Why?
- Require a heavy duty hospital bed if patient’s weight is > 350lb? If so, weight must be documented in patient’s medical record.